After the discussion participants had chosen one initiative – Braiding culture – and they started to implement the idea.
Work Plan for Braiding Salon
- the center has lack of finances for supporting the women;
- women living in the center are not studying and working;
- the women in the center does not have any trainings for hard skills.
Goal: help the women learn on how to make braids for tourists; thus, ensuring financial support afterwards.
1. Get in contact with professional braiders on whether they would be interested in helping the
women in the center learn how to make the braids. This can be done by getting the
professional to make the braids for the clients to the center (and keep the money). At the
same time, the professional braider center could get promotion within our project and in the
2. Afterwards, make flyers/posters as promotional materials for tourists to be distributed in
tourists spots (hotels, sightseeing facilities, tourism centres, etc.).
3. Make partnership with the tourists spots as to place the flyers/posters in their venues.
4. Keep the professional braiders coming to the center for making the braids together with the
women of the center and split the money (price can be higher for tourists due to social
responsibility aspect and bigger purchasing power).
5. Further steps depends on the implementation of previous stages.
The teams were formed:
1. Visual Marketing Team (e.g. flyers / booklets / photos)
2. Online Marketing Team (e.g. business name, tripadvisor, forums, instagram, facebook, etc.)
3. Partnership Team for Marketing (e.g. hotels, tourism centers, restaurants, etc.);
4. Business Partnership Team (braiding salon & women center).
Buying materials for girls to make handicrafts and braids
Some of the participants went to the market to buy the necessary materials for girls to help their business grow – beads, hair extension etc.
The website for the initiative was launched: www.female-rights.com/braiding
Presenting the initiative to the girls in the center
After the marketing plan was set and the materials printed out, participants came back to the center and presented everything to the girls. They explained the profit that they can make using the provided materials and a new brand name. Also, participants took some of jewelry for sell them to the tourists and promote the initiative.